The weekend is over for us here in Germany. With that said, it was a busy weekend. We had a rental car still, so we decided to head over to Heidelberg, to see the Heidelberg Castle and other fun things in that area. After driving over an hour, we arrived to find huge crowds. When I say huge crowds, I mean at least 4 parking garages were full, people sitting outside waiting for a car to go in, 100s of bikes in the bike parking area, people walking and riding all around us. Picture Disney World the week of Christmas... yeah. That's what Heidelberg Castle was like yesterday.
With that said though, here's a tidbit of Germany info. There are signs that say P12, P14, etc for parking garages. The signs then have an electric number underneath them, and it says how many spots are left in the specific garage. It also tells you several streets before the garage, so you don't even try if there are no spots. Very nice and helpful.
So we decided to head over to Ikea, since we passed it on our way to Heidelberg. We bought a few things, a rug for Z, a Christmas gift for A, two rolling boxes for Z and H, and a few other odds and ends. We were told they don't take credit/debt cards, so I was watching to make sure I had enough Euro. However, they do take cards. We got lots of ideas and inspiration walking around. (Also got lots of ideas and inspiration recently from www.ikeahackers.net- warning- addictive!!!)
We came home and had some leftovers for dinner, Jon ran to the grocery store with H, and Z and I cleaned up. Then we went to look at a table I found on our local "craigslist" (Not really craigslist, but same idea as it). It was an Ikea table with 2 leaves, oak, sits at least 10 with both leaves in, and 6 chairs. The chairs are pretty gross because they have white cushions on them. However, I saw them and though "I could EASILY reupholster those!" and so, we bought this great table and chairs for $100. I can't wait until we get in to our place in less than two weeks and that will be my first project! Now, just to find the right fabric... (And try to decide what's best... probably a busy pattern, but what main color?? Decisions, decisions!)
Today, I woke up to realize it was 7:45 and we had to leave for church in an hour. We rushed and made it with plenty of time to spare to mass at 9. I hate that there is only a 9am or 5pm service, and the 5pm is not a mass we would like to attend. However, we really like the priest, so that is very helpful. Thankfully, unlike last week when H exclaimed during the quiet part of mass that she had to poop, today was much better. H actually practiced whispering, which we praised her for greatly. Z was also pretty good. A was ok, aside from trying to beg to nurse because she was just so sleepy.
After mass, we had planned to go to a festival, but we weren't really in the mood. Instead, we came home and I made lunch, Whole grain burritos with bacon, egg, onions, green peppers, mushrooms, and cheese, with oranges and apples on the side and cold milk to drink. As we were eating, I felt really proud that this was such a healthy meal, providing food from each food group. Oh, and I say cold milk because our refridgerator was dying when we moved in to the hotel and we did not realize it. We were drinking barely cold milk for a while, and got a new fridge on Thursday. Now our milk is nice and cold and we have been drinking so much lately because it tastes so great now.
Then the girls took a nap, and Z, my husband and I, all three decided to try to make homemade English muffins. They were DELICIOUS!!!! And soooo worth it. We actually used 1/2 regular flour and 1/2 whole wheat as well. Then, for dinner, we took them and made English muffin pizzas. Very simple ones, but sauce, cheese and sausage. These were seriously the best EM Pizzas I've ever had!
After dinner, we decided to call a few people in the states. Since we are 6 hours ahead of my family, and 7 from my husband's, it can be difficult trying to get in touch with them, especially because my husband's family works during the week and can't talk during our awake time. It was nice chatting with all of them for a few.
So, that was our busy weekend. I, of course, have lots of things to share still about the differences in Germany, but this post is long enough. I need to get to bed, since it's almost 11 and I have an all day class to go to tomorrow. I'm sure the class will provide me with many more things to share tomorrow, if I get a chance to post them tomorrow. Goodnight :)
3 comments:
I love reading about your adventures in Germany! Thanks for posting and it does sound like you had a busy weekend! I might need to check the website you mentioned...what is it exactly? I love IKEA!
Thanks!
It's a website where they take Ikea stuff, and turn it in to something else. For example, there was one that took 2 bookshelves, turned them on their side, and put a piece of wood on top, wheels on the bottom and made it a play table for kids w/ storage underneath. This is one we hope to do ;-)
Thanks!
It's a website where they take Ikea stuff, and turn it in to something else. For example, there was one that took 2 bookshelves, turned them on their side, and put a piece of wood on top, wheels on the bottom and made it a play table for kids w/ storage underneath. This is one we hope to do ;-)
Post a Comment