We were told that because of my husband's year away, we would be the top of the waiting list for base housing. We were also told that in the mean time, we still needed to actively look for housing off base, but since we were at the top, don't sign any contracts. So we weren't really looking to be honest.
On Thursday, we learned that the "top" of the list was #8 (out of 70-something!) so it's possible we may still have some wait time until one is available. So we had to begin investigating off base housing. Jon passed his driver license test on Thursday, so Friday we rented a car and set off to look at two houses. One we liked, but felt it was too "old" for our children, and not safe for them. The other we loved so much and really considered taking it. It would have given us the potential for SIX bedrooms (room for each child, plus office and guest room). However, it was 30 minutes away. That's a lot of gas when paying European gases, plus far from the base to be involved in anything. Therefore we turned it down and we are looking at FOUR houses tomorrow that are closer.
Today we went 'exploring' as the kids call it, driving around the area, mostly to the big city near by. It was cool driving through the city, but it was also very overwhelming, since we did not understand most of what we saw. We went in to a market called "Penny Markt" which Jon said is similar to an Aldi's. We bought some diaper wipes (I remembered I keep forgetting to grab them), a small loaf of bread (Nothing to write home about), and some meat. I thought it was chicken and Jon agreed. We got home to learn that "poten" is TURKEY. Chicken is in fact "Huhn". We'll remember that one, I'm sure. When we came home, we looked around some American websites to find some restaurants recommended by others, and hope to go to one tomorrow.
I forgot to mention a few other things that are different here. For example, they don't sell gallons of milk! They only sell 1/2 gallon cardboard containers. Tons of fun to drag 3 of those home to last two days. I'd be nice to cut back on the amount of milk we drink, but I dont see that happening.
We can't watch most American shows. The military network kind of picks whatever's on tv in America, and sends it over to us. The other night I was watching a show and it said "Coming up next....<>" I got all excited, then next, it flipped over to Conan. And another night I was watching a movie, and it just ended in the middle during a commercial. Kind of frustrating, but it's ok.
1 comments:
It's cool to hear of your adventures in Germany :o). I guess I can live vicariously though your blog since we never did an overseas assignment, and looks like it won't happen before retirement. We did go to Alaska, which is almost considered overseas to some ;o).
Post a Comment