Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Place to live

I am filled with mixed emotions at the moment. We have been in a desperate search for housing. Nothing has turned up that we felt was suitable, and if it was, it got taken by someone else. This morning, on our way out the door to a base appointment, and with 3 more houses to look at, we got a house that we had a place to live on base. However, we learned it was stairwell (an apartment) when we had been planning on a townhome.


We decided to go check it out. Overall, it's not BAD. It's definitely not what we had pictured, but it's doable, at least for a year. It is also a 4 bedroom. We aren't able to move in until October 5, because that's when the military has stuff for us to borrow. However, that marks 8 weeks since we shipped our stuff, so maybe our stuff will be there to move in the same day. THAT would be awesome and a blessing.

Another blessing we discovered, and a complete God thing... When we were in the airport before leaving the states, we met another young, Catholic couple who's son is the same age as ours. We hit it off really well, and, like us, they got the year jump on housing due to a deployment the husband just finished. We've bumped in to them several times around base already. They sent me a message the other day they got base housing... We're in the same building, just across the halls from each other, with a floor difference in between! This is such a blessing to both our families and I am praising God.

If I am to be honest, I'm not extremely happy. In fact, I'm pretty disappointed that we're in an apartment for a year, but I'm trying to remember that after this past year, we're together, in our very own place, in a new country to explore. And we are very blessed to have our new friends right across the hall. And we will be good financially, in that we won't have to buy another vehicle, pay lots on gas, nor pay insurance on another car. This will allow us to save a good amount and finish getting out of debt. This will all be a blessing. I'm just trying to remember the blessings aspect of all of it.

1 comments:

Stina said...

Just to spread some encouragement, we were in a similar situation at our last assignment. We took a small, not-so-great house, but it was next to our best friends. I tried to use it as a lesson in humility, knowing that so many people lived in much worse conditions. That time with our friends was priceless. And you never know what will happen. A year and a half later, a much better house became available for us! You have the right idea of treasuring the time with your family and the conveniences of being so close to Jon's work!

Blessings!!!