Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Jesus, I Trust in You!

As I said in my last post, I've been reading I Will Carry You by Angie Smith. Her husband is Todd Smith, of Selah, a Christian music group. I was reading part of it recently, and it floored me.

Her whole book is a comparison of her grief with the story of Mary and Martha and Lazarus' death. She brings up the point of when Jesus told Martha to move the stone. She didn't immediately move it, trusting that He would bring Lazarus back to life. Instead, she had fear, and said "But Lord, it will stink." (my paraphrase) Angie Smith goes on to say that God comes and we put our hands on the stone, and either have fear or trust.

In her words:

He asked them, and He asks us, to be a part of the miracle. How do we respond to this? Are we distraught over our perceived fears and disappointments that we are paralyzed, or do we trust Him enough to put our hands on the rock? There is no middle ground. Those are our two options: fear or trust.
I was blown away by this, thinking how it is applying to my life. Then yesterday, I was rereading some of my old posts, and came to this one, where I specifically say
I told him (my husband) I'm greatly struggling with this back and forth of fear and trust, asking him to help me and pray for me. I am realizing that this instance, where I have high fear, is exactly where trusting God becomes most evident, where I must say "Not my fear, but Your will, O Lord."
I love how the Lord works. He's working on my heart to trust and not fear, and then he specifically gives me some scripture through a book to meditate on, to see how it relates to trust in the midst of suffering.

I'm reminded of a family we knew living here, who just moved back to the states. Their sweet daughter, Emma, was diagnosed with cancer, and over and over again, they repeat "Jesus, I trust in you." This is something that many of us have really learned from this couple, that no matter the circumstances, just keep repeating "Jesus, I trust in You. Jesus, I trust in YOU!"

2 comments:

Aimee said...

Momma H, The baby isn't going to make it and they are waiting for nature to take it's course last I heard. :( Continued prayers are definitely appreciated, for them, and for my friend Sarah . Thank you.

Aimee said...

I just asked my friend, and apparently they induced her right after they found out. Today was the funeral. :( Prayers are still welcomed obviously.