Sunday, August 26, 2012

Bike riding in Germany

So, we've really been going on more bike rides lately, and they have been fun experiences!

We recently set out, went along our 'normal' course, and when we got to the flightline on base, my husband said "There's a road that apparently goes all the way around the flightline. I said "Sounds like fun! Let's go!" So, we did. We got to the other side of the flightline, away from the majority of the base. There, we found a "Do not enter" sign, that also included bikers and joggers. We took the other road, where a Military Police officer stopped us and informed us that in just a few feet, we'd be on the flightline. Therefore, we had to turn around and go all the way back. When we got home, my husband charted out our course online, and discovered we'd rode 11.6 miles! It was tough going so far, being a newbie to biking, but I was proud of how I kept pushing and got through.

Two days later, we went on another ride. I suggested we go off base this time. We began, at 7pm, on a long course, no idea where it was leading exactly. Eventually, two hours later, we ended up on a very busy road that led to the opposite gate. (Ie we live by the north gate and ended up at the south gate) When Jon checked out this course, it was 11.7 miles! This one was much more difficult that the flightline, because the flightline road was a road, nice and smooth. This course was old roads that are mostly gravel.

We had fun speculating that these were the roads used prior to the modern highway system. There are tons of gravel roads around the area, and they all have signs at the intersections, saying which way to which village and how far to that village. On the ride off base  I took a picture once of such a sign, but can't find the picture anywhere. :)

In great news though, I have lost 2.5 lbs from riding, wahoo! :) I'm sure the German pancake we just had for a late breakfast didn't help the weight though ;-)

Yesterday, we went back to Lusienpark. We got there about 1pm, knowing there was going to be a hot air balloon festival in the evening. We had a great afternoon, Jon and I split a beer and we enjoyed our favorite currywurst mit pommes frites (curryworst with french friends). The french fries are seasoned and seriously, some of the best fries I've ever had. :) Amazing for 'amusement park' food. We found a spot on the huge open field about 5pm, waiting for the festival. It was my understanding that the balloons would set up at 5:30, and then their would be a hot-air glow at 10:30. I hadn't really planned to stay there that late, but figured we'd play it by ear. The balloons did not set up at 5:30. In fact, we waited until 10pm, when they announced (by the best of Jon's translation abilities) that they would not be taking off because it was too windy. So we left, very bummed we were not able to see them. But at least we had a great day as a family.

0 comments: