Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Today, I miss America

Today... I miss America. I miss drive thru ATMs. We have ONE drive thru ATM here, and I have YET to go to it and have it work. I went to that one today, didn't work. I went to two walk up ATMs, one didn't work, and one was out of USD (but had Euros... not what I needed!) I finally gave up and went to the dreaded Base exchange and bought some gift ribbon, the only thing I could think of needing, to get cash back. I hate that any time I need money, I need to drag all three children out of the car to go inside when it's 35 degrees Fahrenheit out!


I miss America, because some places understand that when we go to fill out forms, our "state" is Armed Forces Europe. Other places don't. So, in order to attend a luncheon in Rome, I had to be able to pay in Italian or German, or call an Italian phone number (international fees) and talk to someone who may or may not speak English... or do a wire transfer for $35. I ended up calling my mom and saying "Can I transfer you money and you sign us up with your bank account?" Because THAT was the 'easiest' option. That's after I had to send her shopping for my 15mo who needs 24mo clothes and has none because her sister was in 24 mo in the summer, and it costs SO MUCH to go shopping here and it's not like you can just run to walmart or target and see what's on clearance.

I miss knowing where I'm going, and understanding where I'm going and the road signs. Today, my GPS took me on a 23 min drive, that I figured out I could get home much fast, and made it home in less than 15 minutes on the way back, all because I had no clue where this specific village was.

I simply miss American things. Maybe we're spoiled. Maybe I hate change. Maybe I hate the unknown, but dang, today, i'm emotional and miss America.

4 comments:

Emily said...

Praying for you Aimee. I can't imagine the adjustments you are having to make but I know that you are making the best of it! Hope your Mom finds some cute and cheap clothes for the baby!

Anonymous said...

You are heroic, Aimee. I could never be as brave as you. We're thinking of you!

Anonymous said...

I was just about to leave you a message about writing more on your blog. I cannot imagine how hard it must be to adjust to a new way of doing everything. Hang in there because I know the day will come when this will be a memory you can look back on and laugh.

Stina said...

Even when I travel overseas for just a week or two, I'm always so grateful to be back in America. When Tom and I were first married, we were all about moving overseas, although his career field isn't really one for that. Now, especially with the kids, we're okay with just traveling. We definitely appreciate America, despite its own issues. Hang in there and just focus on the great experience that this is and remember that it won't last forever. (I'm kinda feeling the same way about our latest move, and we stayed in America!)